Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lessons...

So... I started a blog, probably for none other reason than to have yet another outlet for my long rants and ravings about nothing incredibly pertinent to anyone's salvation. But nonetheless... Feel free to have a read at my random meanderings (word?) about life.


I sat here forever trying to think of something that would be good to babble about - something that immediately following people won't think, "Wow, that's 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back." So I decided to grace you with a couple lessons I've learned throughout this year so far. Not all of them are profound, life-altering lessons. But take it or leave it.


Lesson #1: New Year's Resolutions are a good way to say, "Hmm, what do I want to do better for the first week of this year?" Who honestly is in the middle of September, and thinks to themselves, "Ah, well gee... I better go to the gym, I made a New Year Resolution!" Yeah, I don't care who you are, you aren't going to the gym because of some insignificant promise you made to yourself and the year 2008 to lose weight. Maybe there are a select few that really do work on their "resolutions". But for me... Lesson learned, I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I just try to be a better person - all the time.

Lesson #2: If things seem too good to be true, 84.9% of the time, they are.

Lesson #3: Cuddling with someone, can mean everything... Or nothing at all. Just because someone holds my hand, doesn't necessarily mean they like me. This will always and forever be a concept that I don't understand or agree with.

Lesson #4: Grandma Sycamore bread goes moldy very fast.

Lesson #5: It doesn't go moldy as fast if you keep it in your fridge.

Lesson #6: If you get fired from your job, it isn't the end of the world. Sometimes you might be lucky enough to realize that it was a blessing in disguise.

Lesson #7: I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father, my Heavenly Father. I am worth something - and the Adversary is going to do anything and everything to get me to believe otherwise.

Lessong #8: I am not, nor ever will be, a long boarder.

Lesson #9: Happiness is a choice - And it's okay to be happy. I figured out that I've always been scared to be happy, because as soon as that happens, things will start getting thrown at me (figuratively, of course) that try to knock me down and get me right back into that state of misery I was in before. "Men are that they might have joy...." Men aren't that they might be stuck in a pit of never ending torment and woe.

Lesson #10: Just because people grow up, doesn't mean they have to grow apart. And even in those instances where really good friends do start to grow apart, it isn't for lack of a good friendship, it's usually because they happen to be at separate times in their lives and are making different decisions. Whether I talk to my good friends 93 times a day, or once every couple weeks... I've learned who I can trust, and who will always have a special place in my heart whether we see each other every day, or never again.



Lesson #11: Kissing, apparently doesn't always mean anything either. (See Lesson #3)

Lesson #12: If ever a tool was created to thouroughly and effectively stalk someone, it would be Facebook. And I am guilty as charged.

Lesson #13: My family has and always will love me. They are hands down, the family for me. This lesson has been reiterated so many times throughout my life. There's instances where I watch what my parents go through and have so much more respect for them than before. I watch how they struggle, and yet somehow remain happy. My family is a living testimony to me that even though the whirlwinds may be a whirlin' it's still okay to laugh and be happy. It's okay to talk about farts, sex, burps, and restroom etiquette at our dinner table. My family is my release, my haven if you will. I will never stop loving them.





Lesson #14: Insert 'friends' where 'family' is in Lesson #13.

Lesson #15: I've really found myself in this last year. I've come to grips with what my strengths and weaknesses are. And I'm not scared to hide them. Yes, I'm dramatic - I get it from my mother. If you don't like it, go find someone boring. Yes, I'm never on time. But it usually ends up being worth the wait. Yes, I'm stubborn - but it gives you something to fight for. No one is perfect. And I've just realized that becoming perfect is a process... Something we will work at little weaknesses at a time.


And that, ladies and gentleman, are 15 lessons I've learned. Not to say that's all I learned. But those are the things that I can think of for now. Perhaps I'll do some more another day when I'm too lazy to get my butt out of bed and get ready for work. Until then, all feet are the same. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Haha very nice! I like it! :) Those are some good lessons indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...you definitly are a writer. It was so fun to see you again last night. We miss you! You and I will have to get something planned soon for dinner.

    ReplyDelete