Tuesday, June 15, 2010

P90X = Death

For those of you interested in how day 1 of P90X treated me...

       Oh my good holy hell.  It about killed me.  We don't have our resistance bands yet, so we did the plyometrics instead of the back and abs - or whatever.  Plyometrics didn't sound as bad as doing a gazillion chin ups or push ups, or whatever the heck we were supposed to have done.  Wrong.  I don't think I've ever felt more out of shape than I did trying to do jumping jack squats or any number of leaps and bounds through the air last night.  I didn't even know what plyometrics was (obviously) until the we started bouncing around everywhere.  I felt a little bit sorry for our neighbors directly underneath us as Shawn and mine combined 300 pounds came crashing down every time we landed a jumping squat, or what have you.  Tony Horton kept yelling at us to "land softly," so hopefully that minimized the mini earthquakes our neighbors were most undoubtedly experiencing.

header 150x150       Before we started anything, Tony strongly advised that we not eat anything for at least an hour before starting the work out.  Oops.  I may or may not have eaten a cookie.  Or two.  Didn't you know?  That's the secret to losing weight.... cookies.  Sorry, Tony.  The video starts and naturally I'm already winded during the mother loving warm up.  That's not exactly ego boosting, but... whatever.  Shawn did a fabulous job of keeping up with everything.  There was a guy on the video who was doing the "modified" version of one of the moves.  Shawn laughed and exclaimed that he was a pansy... only to look over at me who was mimicking said modified move.  I about punched him square in the gullet.  But rather than resorting to violence, I probably just swore or stuck my tongue out at him - you know, part of that good wife act I'm pulling off.  You know the jackass in every work out video that is doing everything perfectly, but in warp speed?  Yeah, that guy was in the back... and I wanted to trip him.  

       Anyways, the jumping and torture and occasional lame joke from Tony lasted for an hour.  Let me tell you that that was possibly the longest hour of my entire life.  I was sure I was having a seizure from the shaking my legs were experiencing.  I look over at Shawn and ask him if he's hurting, and he says "You know, not really at all!"  It took all the strength, if any, I had left not to strangle him.  I just gently reminded him that the right answer was "Oh, totally!  It buuuuuuuurns!"  I promptly passed out on the floor and tried to catch my breath.

       My legs haven't been this sore since I ran the freaking half marathon.  Squatting on the toilet makes me want to die.  Actually, sitting down pretty much anywhere is somewhere close to agonizing.  But it's more or less what I expected.  It hurts so good.  These workouts are really gonna wear me out at first, I'm pretty positive of that.  But I have to stick with them.  After the first day, I can completely see why so many people give up.  I'm hoping that I can get a more positive attitude with time as well when it comes to these things.  Throughout the entire video I was saying how much I sucked at a certain move or that I was going to collapse and die, right there.  I feel like that probably doesn't really help the situation much.  I'm lucky to have a husband who is totally motivated and encourages my fat butt the entire time.  Sometimes I let my competitive self take over and I end up getting so frustrated because I'm not as in shape as he is.  But luckily, he's patient with me and I couldn't ask for a better personal trainer.  I had a friend tell me that he didn't think I'd be able to do it, and even told me I was ignorant for not realizing that this is what Marines use to work out, and that it was killer.  To that friend I respectfully say, yes it's hard - and there will be plenty of times I want to give up.  But I can do it.  I will do my best at it.  And you can shove it.  :)




Peace, internet.

9 comments:

  1. LOL. A punch in the gullet would have served him right. Great us of the WOW. I have to get that workout series. I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A punch to the gullet - a move guaranteed to bring any man down. :)

    Thanks SO much for joining in! I loved your use!

    I can't get away from P90X! It's everywhere! I'm not doing it myself, though I am trying zumba for the first time tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah ha! I am just starting P90X back up after being out of the workout scene for farrrr tooo longggg - *sigh* love the blog, i found you thru SITS/blog frog and just became a follower :) would love to have you follow my blog at mangia-bella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. p90X is hard core! I've only done one or two video's one or two times. But my husband loves them. He downloaded all the video's onto his Ipod so he can do it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good info. I can totally see the same thing happening with E and me. I mean, I'd be all out of breath and he'd be just merrily going along. I know that feeling of barely being able to sit down. One time I did this boot camp thing and I couldn't go down stairs without groaning for a week. I hope that it gets easier, good luck! I know you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great that he encourages you. Although personally this is exactly why I do not work out where my husband can see me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, you poor thing. I would never even attempt P90X. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got bigger balls than me my friend! I wouldn't touch P90X with a 10 foot pole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that sounds like an intense work out! Good for you for not giving up!!

    ReplyDelete