Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November, A Soapbox, & More Really Interesting Things

[Insert an interesting, yet irrelevant opening paragraph here.]


-Is it weird to anyone else that it's already November?  I feel like it was just a few weeks ago that I was panicking over what to get Shawn for his birthday.  And here we are again, and I've got nothing.  Again.  Well, except for the nice default gift that marriage provides us.  It's nice to know that if I ever can't come up with anything more creative than getting naked for my husband's birthday, it's totally okay.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.  

-On a more clothed serious note, speaking of November, I think the "Post something you're grateful for every day of November" trend is great.  Reflecting on your blessings is actually clinically proven to make you happier.  (Thank you, college education.)  And a great way to celebrate the holidays, to boot.  However, I don't think I want to participate publicly, not just because every one and their dog is doing it, and they're all grateful for mostly the same things.  But because it sort of makes me sad that November seems to be the only month that people are so outspoken about the things they're thankful for. Yes, I realize that it's the month of Thanksgiving, and we're all into themes - but wouldn't it be awesome if people would do the same thing in July?  Or February?  Snow aside, the holiday season is one of my favorites of the year. I think it's when people's best selves shine.  People become more selfless, and aware of other's needs.  They acknowledge all their blessings, and give to those who aren't as fortunate.  It's a season centered around Christ.  And wouldn't it be great if we could cultivate that attitude and feeling all year long?    /soapbox

-I'm loving my new position at work.  And I'm not just saying that because most of the people on my team  know about my blog (Hi, team!), but it really is awesome.  I don't dread logging in to work anymore, which is pleasant.  Not to mention, I actually work now instead of taking a ludicrous amount of time off.

-Speaking of jobs, I decided that I'm going to be a real estate agent.  Ha!  My husband's company flips houses on the side when they don't have any roofs to do, and I guess it would be to their advantage if one of the wives had a real estate license.  Naturally I volunteered after Shawn's dad told me we could make an extra 3ish grand for a few hours of work.  I'd have to go back to school for a little bit, which isn't ideal, but I suppose it'll give me something to do.  (Does that make my life sound boring, or what?  Nothing better to do than go to school?  Yeesh, Chels.)

-I never really mentioned anything about Halloween, other than scaring the besheesh out of my dog.  I did pretty much what I told you I would last year.  Sat on my butt, inhaled an embarrassing amount of sugar, and watched a scary movie.  They originally wanted to watch Nightmare Before Christmas, but that isn't scary.  I told them we should watch an actual scary movie, and then watch the Disney movie.  (Disney?  Who knew.)  Anyways, we watched Scream.  Which amazingly enough I had never seen up until that point.  Gorey stuff aside, it was a pretty amusing show.  My favorite part was probably the scene in the garage, when the girl gets stuck in the kitty door.  I mean, really?  

-Also?  Further proof that red flavor beats blue flavor.  Always.  It's apparently also proof that we eat way too much candy.





Shazam!






Happy Tuesday, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment