Wednesday, September 19, 2012

That One Time My Lady Husband Won a Race


So, this last Saturday was the big 5k for Fertility that I've been annoying everyone to death about for the last few weeks.  And first of all, I just have to once again thank everyone who registered on our behalf, and for all the people who spread the word to their friends to try and recruit them to sign up as well.  We ended up with 23 entries into the raffle, which I thought was pretty dang impressive for the short, two week notice I gave everyone.  I can only imagine how many more people I could have peer pressured into signing up with a little more time.  But seriously, thank you.  It's been amazing to see the love and support come from everyone.  And I mean everyone.  People I haven't talked to for years registered, people who I know have tight budgets registered, and people I've never even met registered.  That is amazing to me, and it certainly hasn't gone unnoticed.  Nothin' like a broken baby maker to bring in the love, yo.

So, to cut the the chase, (if you haven't already heard) we didn't win the IVF raffle - which honestly, is okay.  There were almost 50 couples who had entered the raffle, all who had friends and family entering their names to win.  Shawn and I feel pretty comfortable saying that the couple that did win, probably needed it a little more than we did at this point.  Sure, it was disappointing to watch someone else win something we wanted so badly - but I can honestly say we're thrilled for them.  They seemed like a great, deserving couple, and had a team of about 90 people to prove it.

That said...


We didn't go home completely empty handed.  Even though we didn't win the raffle, we did win the race.  And have a fancy plastic trophy to prove it.  


And by 'we', I obviously mean Shawn.  Because the only way I'd ever win a 5k is if I was running it alone.  Anyways.  Shawn has always said that one of his goals in life is to win a 5k, and apparently this was the one he decided to win.  I don't think he could have chosen a better race to win.  Heaven only knows we could use the positive fertility mojo.  And most people think you actually have to train in order to win a 5k.  Well, not if you're my husband.  You don't even have to run for months beforehand.  Just roll out of bed, throw on some short shorts, and win.

Who does that?!



This guy.
(And yes, I'm fully aware that he has the skinniest legs on the planet.)

He finished with a time of 16:38, and to say I'm pretty damn proud of him, would be a massive understatement.  I, on the other hand, impressed the crowd by finishing in no less than 48 whole minutes.  So it's probably pretty needless to say that I didn't even kind of run.  Best. 5k. Ever.

When they announced the winner, they prefaced it be saying, "Overall and first place female..."  Which had me nervous for just a split second that maybe some broad managed to somehow beat Shawn.  Buuuuut, then they called his name out.  Apparently when I registered him, I registered him as a woman.

Whoops.

So not only did Shawn being a girl eff the results up, but my brother in law ran with my mother in law's number - and he beat all the women.  So when they went to announce the real female division winner, they called out my mother in law's name.

Double whoops.

I have a video of it all - and if you can manage to get past my really loud, irritating laugh, it's slightly amusing.


Anyways, we obviously that that was pretty hilarious.  Trust our family to shake things up a little bit.  


Aaaand, queue the random pictures...


Every couple that registered to win the IVF cycle got one of these.  Our first onesie.  Maw.


This is officially my new favorite pen.  The little sperm float up and down with the egg.  Brilliant.


Our friends, who we absolutely love to death.  (Note: Before the 5k, I rolled out of bed, put clothes on, and swigged some mouth wash - which is why I look SO pretty.)


 Some of Team Milne! 

I just can't end this without thanking everyone again for everything.  Not even just in this particular event, but in the rest of it as well.  Since I've started blogging about Operation Grow a Baby, I've received several emails and messages from people I know, and people I don't know, sharing their own experiences with infertility and offering their well wishes and prayers.  I love that, and I can assure you that I feel your love and prayers every single day.  So, thank you for your messages.  Thank you for your prayers.  And thank you for the constant encouragement.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I know some day we'll be parents.  It may not be in the way we had pictured it, but I know we'll have a chance at a family some day.  It certainly hasn't been easy to wait for something I've been dreaming of ever since I was 5, but I have faith that my Heavenly Father knows what He's doing.  I know He sees the bigger picture, and I completely trust His timing.  

So until it's our turn to squeeze out a perfect, tiny hybrid of ourselves - we'll just keep on keepin' on!  And that means more pictures of my cat on Facebook.  So deal.



4 comments:

  1. I am such a fool! I thought the race was at the very end of the month! That's what I get for procrastinating. I'm sorry, we were totally going to run it! We are sucks. Congrats to Shawn! Congrats on your pen! You guys are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, seriously... I want that pen. (Yeah, that's what I'm choosing to take away from all this)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!! I am actually laughing out loud at the awards presentation debacle. That's worthy of a sitcom, right there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I need that pen. And more pictures of your cat. But please, for the love of God, no more skinny man leg shots. lol. He makes me feel like a beluga whale.

    You WILL have your family one day, I know it.

    Hugs from California

    ReplyDelete